Two teams won their age groups at the final round of Lothian Leagues on 2nd June
Girls 8-9 team
Emilie Paul, Heather Doney, Chloe Milburn, Olivia Murray and Kirsty Carruthers won the overall girls 8/9 team title.
Emilie, Heather, Chloe and Olivia are here with their trophy and coach Angus Johnston.
In the girls 12/13 age group the team of Alice Mackie, Olivia Dean, Sophie Milburn, Katie Macdonald and Lizzie Whike picked up the trophy.
Girls 12-13 team
The boys 8/9 team of Lewis Robb, Charlie Brown, Kier Strormonth, Anton Skornyakov and Jack Robertson came third in their category.
Boys 8-9 team
The East District Open Water championships was held at Lochore Meadows on Sunday 20th May with a strong contingent from Hearts. Results in the open category were:
- John McDonald Senior (17-24) Men’s 2k – 2nd overall, 2nd East District
- Ian Sutherland Masters Men’s 2k – 2nd overall, 1st East District
- Keanna MacInnes Senior (17-24) Women’s 2k – 1st overall, 1st East District
- Katie Taylor Senior (17-24) Women’s 2k – 2nd overall, 2nd East District
- Carol Lock Masters Women’s 2k – 2nd overall, 1st East District
- Ruth Miller Masters Women’s 2k – 4th overall, 3rd East District
- Vicky MacRae Masters Women’s 2k – 5th overall, 4th East District
- Kirsty Funnell Junior Girls (11&12) – 4th overall, 3rd East District
- Orla MacInnes Junior Girls (11&12) – 5th overall, 4th East District
- Louise MacArthur Junior Girls (15&16) – 4th overall, 2nd East District
There were also two Hearts relay teams in action. The Master team of Carol Lock, John McDonald, Ian Sutherland and Ruth Miller came in 3rd overall and 1st East District team. The junior team of Adam Funnell, Finlay Saunders, Katie Taylor and Keanna MacInnes came in strongly in 4th overall and 2nd East District team – considering 3 of the team had never swum in open water before. Well done to Adam for stepping in at the last minute to make up the team – he was amazing!
Edinburgh swimmer Keanna Macinnes took a break from training and studying for her Highers to spend time with younger swimmers from her club and to share her experience from her debut at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in April.
The Heart of Midlothian Swimming Club member swam in both the 100m and 200m butterfly events on the Gold Coast, and helped Team Scotland to fifth place in the 4x100m medley relay. It was a successful first games for the swimmer who came back with two PBS and an improvement on her Scottish Junior record for the 100m fly.
Speaking of her experience, Keanna said: “Being part of Team Scotland at the Commonwealth Games was an amazing experience and I enjoyed every minute.“
Head Coach Phil Potter, said: ”We are all extremely proud of Keanna, she works really hard and thoroughly deserved her place on the team.”
Younger swimmers got the opportunity to race last weekend at the club’s Novice Meet, which was help at Prestonpans on Sunday 13 May. In-between heats, swimmers were given a demonstration of stroke technique from Elite squad member, Finlay Saunders.
Potter said: “It’s great that one of our more experienced swimmers was able to come and share his skills with younger swimmers at our novice meet. It’s really encouraging for them to have these older role models so they can see that hard work and dedication can result in good technique and great success.”
The Hearts relay team, consisting of Chloe Milburn, James Milburn, Liam Mason, Jessica Robb, Keir Stormonth and Layla Wedderspoon, were triumphant in the final event of the day, bringing home the gold medal in the 6x25m freestyle.
A club kit order will be placed at the end of April. Please send all order to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check your emails for the available kit and prices or view in kit list.
Please note that the training schedule for w/c 9th April – with Forrester back open – is a normal schedule except for the following CHANGES:
- Monday 9th
- No SwiFT session 2030-2130 at Forrester. SwiFT swimmers can join in with FaST 1 1900-2030.
- Wednesday 11th
- No SwiFT session 2030-2130 at Forrester. SwiFT swimmers can join in with TaSK 3 1900-2030.
- Thursday 12th
- No land session (1800-1850) for FaST 1 at Ainslie Park. Pool session as normal.
- Friday 13th
- ELITE / FaST 2 Drumbrae session TBC
- Sunday 15th
- No land training for all squads at Drumbrae and RCP. Pool sessions as normal.
The 2018 Scottish National Age Groups (SNAGS) took place at Tollcross pool, Glasgow from Wednesday 28th March to Sunday 1st April. There were great performances from the whole team over the 5 days of competition both individually and in relays across all age groups.
On the podium were:
- Holly Lumsden (11-13 years) – bronze 50m butterfly.
- Holly McGill (11-13 years) – bronze 1500m freestyle, silver 200m backstroke, and silver 100m backstroke.
- Rowan Saunders (14 years) – bronze 50m backstroke.
- Jack McGill (14 years) – silver 1500m freestyle, bronze 800m freestyle.
- Ellie Reilly (15 years) – silver 50m breaststroke, gold 200m breaststroke, bronze 400m IM, bronze 200m IM, and gold 100m breaststroke.
- Emma Russell (15 years) – bronze 1500m freestyle, bronze 100m freestyle, silver 400m freestyle, bronze 800m freestyle, silver 100m butterfly, bronze 200m freestyle and bronze 50m butterfly.
- Rory Young (16 years) – bronze 200m butterfly.
- Katie Taylor (17-18 years) – gold 1500m freestyle, silver 400m IM, and silver 200m butterfly.
Also in finals were Jack Brown, Holly Lumsden, Louise Macarthur, Adele McDaid, Holly McGill, Jack McGill, Fionnlagh Maguire, Scott Muirden, Ellie Reilly, Luci Robertson, Angus Rutherford, Emma Russell, Rowan Saunders, Finlay Saunders, Katie Taylor and Rory Young.
Full results here
There are a few changes to the training schedule from Sunday 1st to Sunday 8th April.
These changes are being made due to facility availability (we were only recently informed that Forrester would be unavailable w/c 2nd April); coach availability and also the desire to change the schedule during the Easter Holidays / post-SNAGs.
Hearts Training Schedule – 2017-2018 Season – Weeks 33 34
The attachment shows the changes and they can also be seen below:
o no land training for all squads at Drumbrae.
o All pool sessions remain on as previously advised:
TaSK 1 / TaSK 2 – 1600-1700
TaSK 3 / FaST 1 / FaST 2 – 1700-1830
SwiFT / E#3 – 1830-1930
o no RCP AM sessions for ELITE / FaST 2 & FaST 1 / TaSK 3 – as previously advised.
o no Forrester PM sessions for all squads.
o all sessions as normal
o RCP AM session as normal for ELITE / FaST 2
o FaST 1 move to RCP 1800-2000 alongside ELITE / FaST 2
o No Forrester PM session for TaSK 1 / TaSK 2 / TaSK 3 / SwiFT
o TaSK 1 / TaSK 2 – 1700-1800 at Ainslie Park
o TaSK 3 / SwiFT – 1800-1900 at Ainslie Park
o Ainslie Park pool sessions as normal for ELITE / FaST 2 & FaST 1
o No land session for FaST 1.
o RCP AM session open to ALL ELITE & FaST 2
o No Drumbrae PM session for ELITE / FaST 2
o No Forrester PM sessions for TaSK 1 / TaSK 2 / TaSK 3 / SwiFT
o TaSK 1 / TaSK 2 – 1800-1900 at Drumbrae
o TaSK 3 / SwiFT – 1900-2000 at Drumbrae
o No ELITE RCP AM session as previously advised.
o no land training for all squads at Drumbrae & RCP.
o All pool sessions remain on as normal.
Any changes for w/c 9th April will be advised ASAP.
Please see attached flyer promoting the club lottery. Win cash prizes and help support the club and keep fees down. Friends, family or colleagues can all purchase tickets as long as they’re over 18.
Another fantastic weekend of swimming from all the swimmers at the final round of the East District age group championships. An amazing 8 East District champions, numerous medalists and finalists all helped Hearts into second place in the team competition. Well done to all. Full results below. Thanks as well to all the parents who helped as officials, marshals, announcers and on the door. Final thanks to the coaches who were poolside all weekend – Phil, Trish, Michal and Jill.
We also had two overall age group champions: Jack McGill in the boys 14 years and Katie Taylor in the girls 17+ years.
- Jack McGill, East District champion 14 years 200m Individual Medley
- Ellie Reilly, silver 15 years 200m Individual Medley
- Kate Taylor, bronze 17+ years 200m Individual Medley
- Ellie Reilly, East District champion 15 years 50m breaststroke
- Jack Brown, bronze 13 years 50m breaststroke
- Kate Carruthers, silver 11-12 years 100m backstroke
- Holly McGill, silver 13 years 100m backstroke
- Rowan Saunders, silver 14 years 100m backstroke
- Ellie Reilly, bronze 15 years 100m backstroke
- Rory Young, bronze 16 years 100m backstroke
- Kate Carruthers, East District champion 11-12 years 50m butterfly
- Emma Russell, East District champion 15 years 50m butterfly
- Keanna MacInnes, East District champion 17+ years 50m butterfly
- Jack McGill, silver 14 years 100m freestyle
- Kate Carruthers, silver 11-12 years 100m freestyle
- Emma Russell, East District champion 15 years 100m freestyle
- Ellie Reilly, East District champion 15 years 100m breastroke
- Kate Carruthers, silver 11-12 years 50m backstroke
- Holly McGill, silver 13 years 50m backstroke
- Rowan Saunders, bronze 14 years 50m backstroke
- Kate Carruthers, bronze 11-12 years 100m butterfly
- Emma Russell, silver 15 years 100m butterfly
- Keanna MacInnes, silver 17+ years 100m butterfly
- Kate Carruthers, silver 11-12 years 50m freestyle
- Emma Russell, silver 15 years 50m freestyle
- Boys 13-14 years 200m medley relay, bronze
- Girls 13-14 years 200m medley relay, bronze
- Boys 17+ years 200m medley relay, bronze
- Girls 17+ years 200m medley relay, silver
- Girls 11-12 years 200m freestyle relay, bronze
- Boys 15-16 years 200m freestyle relay, silver
- Girls 15-16 years 200m freestyle relay, silver
- Girls 15-16 years 200m medley relay, East District champions
- Girls 17+ years 200m freestyle relay, silver
- Boys 17+ years 200m freestyle relay, bronze
Another successful weekend of swimming at East Districts round 2, with 5 individual swimmers coming home as East District champion. This weekend saw each event swum over 200m , plus the boys 800m free and relays postponed from round 1.
- Jack McGill 14 years East District champion 800m free
- Finlay Saunders 17-18 years East District champion 800m free, Angus Rutherford silver.
- Emma Russell 15 years East District champion 200m free, Ellie Reilly bronze.
- Katie Taylor, bronze 17-18 years 200m free.
- Ellie Reilly 15 years East District champion 200m breaststroke
- Jack McGill 14 years East District champion 200m free
- Jack McGill 14 years bronze 200m butterfly
- Holly McGill 13 years silver 200m backstroke
- Emma Russell 15 years bronze 200m backstroke
- Katie Taylor 17-18 years silver 200m backstroke
- Jack Brown silver and Fionnlagh McGuire bronze 13 years 200m backstroke
- Jack McGill 14 years bronze 200m backstroke
- Finlay Saunders 17-18 years bronze 200m backstroke
- Ellie Reilly 15 years silver 200m butterfly
- Luci Robertson 16 years silver 200m butterfly
- Katie Taylor 17-18 years East District champion 200m butterfly
Plus plenty of personal bests and coloured pens for positions 4 to 8!