- Train as normal in the build up to a competition - do not miss a session in order to rest - competition should never take the place of training.
- Make sure YOU pack your own kit bag (preferably the night before your competition) - do not rely on anybody else to do it for you! You only have yourself to blame for anything you may forget in that case.
- Know exactly what events you are competing in, what time the warm up and session start times are - failing to plan is planning to fail!
Day Of Competition
This is the bit you swim in!
- Be at the competition venue at least 15 minutes prior to the warm up start time so that you can perform a land warm up and so that the coaches know you are there.
- You should have the following with you at every competition:
- Trunks/Costumes - separate 'suits' for warm ups and races (a dry suit for every race). 'Racing suits' should be very tight fitting.
- Goggles - at least 2 pairs in case of damage to normal pair.
- Hats - at least 2 in club colours. All swimmers with 'long' hair should wear swim hats at all times.
- Club (maroon) T-shirts/polo tops. These should be kept dry and MUST be worn at Medal Presentations.
- Tracksuit bottoms/shorts and trainers & socks. It is essential that you are fully clothed on poolside between warm ups and races in order to keep your muscles warm - regardless of the poolside environment.
- Towels and/or chamois - more than one if necessary.
- Drinks bottle with water or weak squash (enough to last the full duration of the competition - at a rate of 600-1000 ml per hour).
- Gala notification form with details of your swims.
- Small notebook to note down your times and splits from each event.
- Food - enough for the day including small 'complex carbohydrate' snacks, fruit and packed lunch/tea depending on duration of competition.
- Swim all of your races at 100% effort and 'swimdown' (where possible) after each.
- Speak to your coach before and after every race - get your brief/debrief!
- Eat and drink regularly throughout the day but certainly do not eat within half an hour of your warm up or race. Drink regularly - 'little and often' remember.
- Always make sure the coaches know where you are and be aware of when your next swim is - do not rely on the coaches.
- Make yourself available for ALL Medal Presentations.
- Cheer for your TEAM - Together Everyone Achieves More.
- Take satisfaction from what you did right and learn from what you did wrong.
- Look forward to the next competition!